Heritage Skills in the Alde Valley and East Suffolk
In the autumn of 2015 the farm launched a series of small pop up studios in association with Suffolk Heritage Skills – a consortium of local artisans and makers who specialise in traditional heritage skills : green oak framing; sign writing; stained glass work; chair making.
For Spring 2016 the farm and Spring Festival are hosting a collection of Pop Up Open Studios during the Festival’s four week season in some of the old buildings in the farmyard. Recipients of Studio residencies for 2016 include :
* Jim Parsons [chairmaker];
* Owen McClatchey [cabinet maker / joiner];
* J0nny Briggs [green oak timber framer];
* Raymond Hopkins [bench, table and stool maker];
* Otis Luxton [guitar maker];
* Tobias Ford [knifemaker];
* Stewart Goldie-Morrison [chair and stickmaker];
* Dan Hussey [chairmaker];
* Nienke Jongsma [designer and bag maker].
All the Pop Up Studios will be open from 10am – 6pm at weekends during the Spring Festival. The idea is to offer visitors a glimpse of how these different crafts and heritage skills are useful today – both as professions and pastimes. All the participating makers will have work for sale, either in the Festival Exhibition or Festival Shop.